Policy UpdateCoronavirus Disease (COV ID-19) Awareness and Prevention
Policy and Procedures
Policy: It is the policy of Clean Recovery Centers to identify risks as the CDC and WHO have identified COVID-19 as a pandemic with expectations of the Coronavirus spreading throughout the United States. As a preemptive measure, Clean Recovery Centers is following guidelines of the CDC and developed measures to properly look at risks associated with any pandemic situation. Per CDC guidelines, our providers will use their judgment to determine if a client has signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and whether the patient should be tested at Clean Recovery Centers’ facilities.
Procedures: All prescreening includes questions regarding travel to China, Asia, and Europe, flu-like symptoms and if the individual has come in contact with anyone who has COVID-19. These individuals will be monitored for signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and be tested per the judgement of our providers (per specifications outlined below). The procedures outlined in this policy will remain in effect until the CDC declares COVID-19 as no longer a threat to the American public.
The following questions have been added to the pre-screening assessment:
- Have you traveled to Asia or Europe since the winter of 2019?
– If yes, what countries or parts of countries have you visited?
- Have you or any family members been exposed to Coronavirus?
- Are you at risk of exposure to Coronavirus?
- Are you experiencing shortness of breath, coughing, fever or other symptoms of Coronavirus and/or of a flu?
– If yes, have you been tested for the Coronavirus or are you willing to be tested?
The CDC has released criteria for healthcare providers for the evaluation of patients under investigation (PUI) of COVID-19. As of March 4, 2020, recommendations include testing for a wider group of symptomatic people. Per CDC guidelines, our providers will use their judgment to determine if a client has signs and symptoms compatible with COVID-19 and whether the patient should be tested at Clean Recovery Centers’ facilities, or a local testing facility (whichever is the best option for the circumstance). Decisions on which clients receive testing will be based on the local epidemiology of COVID-19, as well as the clinical course of illness. Our providers will notify the local or state health departments immediately should they deem any client investigation probable for COVID-19. Individuals who test positive will be referred elsewhere per the guidance of our providers, local and state criteria and CDC guidelines.
Additional procedural elements implemented are:
- Visitation to the facility has been cancelled until further notice unless it is deemed absolutely necessary. Visitors, if visitation is necessary, will be asked about recent exposure to COVID-19 and any health risks they may have.
- Pertinent CDC COVID-19 posters have been placed at key locations through Clean Recovery Centers facilities.
- Staff have received information and training on COVID-19 as well as preventative and containment measures that are being executed.
- Employees who have symptoms of acute respiratory illness are asked to stay home and voluntarily self-isolate for 14 days and are free of fever (100.4 degrees F or 37.8 degrees C – using an oral thermometer) and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without using fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants). Employees should notify their supervisor and stay home if they are sick.
- Employees who are well but have a sick family member at home with COVID-19 will notify their supervisor immediately to determine the next steps.
- Employees are refraining from all forms of human interaction (social distancing) such as hand shaking and hugging as part of the overall effort to reduce of co-contamination.
- All facilities and transportation are being disinfected a minimum of 3 times a day.
- Staff members and clients have their temperature taken daily and this is monitored.
All executive level employees will be reviewing the CDC website frequently at cdc.gov.
Clean Recovery Centers will remain open and provide the highest level of care per the strict guidelines outlined by the CDC and WHO organizations. Furthermore, Clean Recovery Centers will ensure local and state compliance with all additional precautions and reporting as required at each level of government and healthcare regulatory policies until further notice.
April 1, 2020 UPDATE
Our pre-screening and admissions procedures have been bolstered considerably. This includes all required pre-screening questions and examination procedures upon admission. The admissions areas are blocked off and sanitized before and after each admission. Anyone wanting admission into any component of our program that exhibits signs and symptoms of COVID-19 will be required to be tested and not permitted anywhere in the facilities.
We now have access to COVID-19 tests through the lab that we work with. We will test here or send the person to the local testing facilities (whatever ensures the fastest results). If clients test positive, they will not be permitted to enter the facilities and residences. However, we will help them via telemedicine if at all possible.
Any existing clients exhibiting signs and symptoms will be tested here or at the local testing facilities immediately, and we will help them via telemedicine until such time as we are certain the test is negative.
New and existing clients that are required to work, unless that work can be done from our facilities, will be required to live elsewhere and do telemedicine. Those clients in lower levels of care such as IOP living in our specified housing, if they are permitted access to their vehicles, will not be able to use those vehicles for anything other than transportation to and from the treatment center.